Everyone wants a whiter, brighter smile. Who wants to pay for it though? Sure, you can change to a whitening toothpaste. There are laser treatments, but that can be expensive. There are much simpler ways to get whiter teeth. You can find most of these remedies right in your own kitchen.
- Baking Soda & Peroxide This is my favorite teeth whitening treatment, and it is very simple. Start by mixing baking soda and peroxide on your toothbrush. Scrub teeth lightly in a circular motion for 2-3 minutes. This fizzy mixture naturally scrubs away stains and brightens teeth! I love to do this a couple of times a week. If you want a quicker solution; you can start off by doing it twice a day for a few days. You should see quicker results.
- Oil pulling Coconut oil is great for many things, including your oral health. This superfood is anti-bacterial, natural, and also known by the wellness community to whiten teeth. Take a teaspoon of coconut oil, liquified, and swish in your mouth for 15-20 minutes. The timing is vey important for the oil to work. Make sure to spit out the oil into a trash can. NEVER swallow it! It will be full of bacteria. You probably will want to brush your teeth when finished. You can do this a few times a week or as needed.
- Coconut Oil & Baking Soda A little variation on the oil pulling. Put a teaspoon of coconut oil on your toothbrush and add baking soda on top of it. Brush your teeth for 2-3 minutes for polished, whiter teeth.
- Apple Cider Vinegar I haven’t tried this one myself, but according to DrAxe.com you can use ACV to whiten teeth, especially to get rid of stubborn coffee and smoking stains. Go figure, because ACV is great for so many things. Brush lightly for 2 minutes with ACV only on your toothbruth. Afterwards brush with your regular toothpaste.
- Charcoal Activated charcoal seems to be pretty popular. You can use charcoal tablets or powdered charcoal. If using the tablets, just break them open for the powder inside. Dip a wet toothbrush into the charcoal and quickly put into your mouth to avoid a messy sink. Gently brush your teeth in circular motions for 2-3 minutes. Rinse well! You can also add coconut oil to the powder to make a homemade natural whitening toothpaste.
Of course there are other things you can do to promote a healthier smile. Cut down on coffee, soft drinks and of course stop smoking. There is also genetic factors, medications, thinning tooth enamel and poor diet habits to consider.
According to the American Dental Association, we should be drinking plenty of water and have a balanced diet that is rich in whole grains, fruits, vegetables, lean protein and low fat dairy. Certain foods are good for your smile too! Try cheddar cheese, raisins, crunchy foods like apples and carrots, almonds, leafy greens, milk, and cranberries. Adding a calcium and vitamin D supplement to promote strong, healthy teeth isn’t a bad idea either. Drinking green and black tea i s good for your teeth as well. Rinsing with black tea for 10 minutes prevents plaque buildup!
Hope you guys try these and let me know what you think! Which are your favorites? Do you have any natural tips for healthier, whiter teeth I missed? I would love to hear them! Comment below with anything you would like to add on the subject!